Keep & Change: Wedding Day Edition

With this being our one year anniversary, I thought it'd be fun to get some of my favorite blogger friends to share a few things about their weddings! These wives are all precious, so be sure to follow the link to their blogs, too. If you're not already following them, you'll want to! Hopefully it's a fun read for all, but really helpful for brides-to-be! We're each sharing one thing we'd absolutely keep about our wedding day and one thing we'd change. Take it from us! :)

What is one thing you'd absolutely do the same about your wedding day?


" Marry the same guy (: " -- Sarah Tucker

***
Mulberry Photography

"Other than marry the same guy? I'd absolutely get married in the same location again, which is right on Lake Tahoe at Edgewood Golf Course. It was so gorgeous!" -- Natasha, Schue Love.

***

"Marry my husband! ;) Besides that, I would definitely hire the same day of (month of) coordinator.  She really held everything together from top to bottom and I can't say enough wonderful things about her.  I have since referred her to friends who have also been thrilled and relieved to have had her as part of their special days." -- Hannah, Hannah Matthews Design.

***

"I would absolutely keep the simple ceremony decor the same -- fresh rose petals completely covering the aisle and a huge wooden cross at the alter that my Husband built with the help of my brothers! We were married in a vineyard and I loved having that huge cross as the focus of the beautiful setting-- both physically and symbolically." -- Amanda, Marshalls Abroad

***
Ryan Ray Photo

"Get married in our beloved home church. I'm from Texas and my husband is from New York, and we live in Raleigh, North Carolina, so we considered venues literally across the country for our wedding. Ultimately, we chose to welcome our family and friends to our new home of Raleigh and held our ceremony at the beautiful church we belong to. Walking through those same doors every Sunday or attending Mass with the priest who officiated our wedding (fun fact: he also baptized our son a year and a half later!) is always a precious reminder of our special day." -- Lisa, Something Pretty.

***

"I would have the beautiful music and live stream that we did that day all over again. So thankful for the precious truth filled words that poured over us and our guests during our ceremony and so glad our friends and family around the world got to join in." - Brittany Price Brooker

***

"I wouldn't change a second of our ceremony. From the song choices to our vows every second was purposeful and worshipful. I loved uniting our lives together under the leadership of Christ!" -- Nicole Cole

***
Danielle Poff Photography 

As for me, I'd absolutely keep the venue, my wedding planner, our florist, and my wedding photographer. They were the dream team! Working with a group of vendors that are amazing and work together often ensures you have a stress-free and beautiful day. And of course, I'd still marry the heck out of my husband all over again, but that's a given! -- Michaela

What is one thing you'd change about your wedding day? 


"Number one thing I wish I had done differently was get a more standard portrait of me and my husband. We have a ton go great "natural" non-posed shots but not one of just us looking at the camera. And of course that's the one photo my whole family wanted!" -- Natasha, Schue Love.

***

 "I wish I had more photos with my papaw.  He passed away two years ago and it's something I wish I had.  My photographer was so great about asking who I needed special photos with, but I didn't take her list very seriously and (in true Me fashion) just went with the flow.  I wish I had really thought about her list! " -- Sarah, Sarah Tucker.

***

"I wish we had gotten more photos of just my husband and me.  I loved our photographer but I wish I had written out a list of shots I wanted to get.  In the moment, everything ended up being a bit rushed and I didn't have my bouquet for many of the photos of the two of us.  There was also a misunderstanding with the florist and although the flowers were gorgeous, the pink petals down the aisle were way brighter than I had intended them to be, as were the pink garden roses in my bouquet.  I was really hoping for a more pale blush color." -- Hannah, Hannah Matthews Design.

***

"I wish I would have thought to organize an after party for all of our guests after Cam and I left. I guess we were so loud that the vineyard shut down the reception an hour early after neighbors complained! Most people wanted to keep celebrating and we wish we'd thought to have had a place for them to do so!" Amanda, Marshalls Abroad

***

"I was an editor at a wedding magazine during the time I was engaged, and give this advice to people all the time, but go figure, I didn't follow it myself! I wish I had hired a wedding planner. We worked with our venue coordinator, which was fine, but looking back, I know it would have taken so much stress off me to have someone in my corner, advocating for my vision and helping to protect my experience as a bride." -- Lisa, Something Pretty.

***

"Our day was crazy but we also have 5 kids who wanted us the whole day which is why it made it crazy, so we wouldn't change loving on our kids and taking care of them, but it was nuts. I would change the early morning flight we had the next day because we only slept maybe one hour before having to get up." -- Brittany Price Brooker

***

 "I wish I would have done more to honor my parents on this day. Now that I'm a mama, I see what a big deal it is for a child to "leave" their parents to start a new family and if I could do it again I would spend more time loving on my parents!" -- Nicole Cole

***

I think looking back, we would have wanted our reception to be longer. We had to be done with dancing and music by 10pm and off the property by 11, so when we had to leave around 10pm in the limo after our "exit", we weren't ready to leave! We were having so much fun dancing and seeing friends and family from all over the united states, that we wish we had the chance to visit longer! After leaving, we had to drive an hour to our hotel (the Fairmont) that we strategically got close to the airport in downtown San Jose. We scheduled our flight out to Maui for 8:30am the next morning, so we were reallyyyy tired and wished we could have had a bit more time to enjoy a leisurely morning. Other than that and the 96 degree weather on our wedding day, I wouldn't change a thing! -- Michaela


Okay, now the fun part! What about YOU?! What's one thing you'd KEEP & CHANGE about your wedding day? Let me know in the comments!

xoxo
interior design website / services / portfolio

6 comments

  1. Oh this is so fun! I love reading these kind of things. For me, my keep would be that we did it our way. I didn't let the pressure of family, friends, etc. influence what we wanted. The location, the ceremony, the music, flowers, bridal party, etc. We didn't compromise on anything.

    For the change, I wish I would have done a seating chart. Our wedding was super small, and we had our dinner reception at our favorite restaurant. Since it was a small affair, I guess I didn't think we would need to direct people to sit in certain places (i.e. at our table!). I really wish that I would have had my parents and my mother-in-law at my table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! One thing I'd keep, besides the guy ;), is getting married on a Friday! Friends and family were then able to stick around on Saturday to extend the celebration, and we got to order a bunch of pizzas with them Saturday night and talk about the wedding. We then left for our honeymoon Sunday. It was perfect. :)

    One thing I'd change is getting a videographer. We were young and it just wasn't in the budget, but if I were getting married now it is definitely something I'd invest in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that a lot of the changes involved the photography!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha oh my goodness I love all the first answers-- I'd keep the same guy too!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would keep: the location (Boone Hall-that is pretty tough to top!), florist, videographer, music, doing a first look, the entire color scheme & design of my venue, bridesmaids and hair/makeup details, my planner (she made the day flawless)
    I would Change: The food left a lot to be desired- I would re-think what we served and probably gone with a different caterer. I had 2 long banquet tables set up but nobody used them because we were super casual after the happy hour. I would be more focused on having a group meal together. And I would change my photographer. Not one picture of my mom and me together-that's a big shame.
    Favorite Moment I recommend: Everyone has a first dance, but those have a lot of eyes watching. We did our first dance but we also had a last dance while everyone lined up for our getaway. It was just the two of us, our photographer and videographer and it was hands down the most intimate and beautiful 3 minutes of my entire life. A few last moments to soak up everything we had planned and reflect on our new life together-it was perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea for a post topic! I really loved everything about my wedding, but to pick just one thing for each...
    Keep: ASSIGNED SEATS. This was a non-negotiable with my mother, but after attending several weddings without assigned seats, I see how chaotic and terrible it can be to have people reserving seats, rushing to tables, and then to have to sit next to strangers. I think assigning seats is a courtesy that ensures your guests feel welcome and comfortable and enjoy the evening.

    Change: My aunt assured me she could do the flowers and told me that she had a lot of experience with florals. It turned out that wasn't the case. Fortunately I'm really laid back and I was going for a very casual, organic vibe out in the country with wildflowers, so the tables looked fine, but the bridesmaids bouquets were terrible, and I cringe whenever I look at pictures with them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! If you have a specific question, please email me at hello@michaelanoelledesigns.com. I always reply to emails! Have a blessed day! xoxo

Back to Top