Project Powder Bath: Inspiration for Bold Walls


I'm so excited to share my next house project with you today! There's a couple rooms in our house that I've never shown you: my husbands office and our powder room. The office we haven't and probably won't put much effort into considering it will turn into a nursery some day, so we don't want to put money into it and he has everything he needs to work from home even though it's not to my design standards-- ha ;) The powder room, however, has just been forgotten. I always ask guests to use our main bathroom because I'm so embarrassed of our powder bath, but all of that is about to change!

Today I'm going to show you the before of this space and give you all my design plans. The project will be started in March and finished in April. 

THE BEFORE:

First of all, I'm so grateful to have a second bathroom, even if it is the size of an airplane bathroom! When we moved in, we didn't even paint this space because I knew I'd have some fun plans for it one day. Well, I'm happy to say that day has finally come! 

As you can see it's tiny and it's plain. It's got this muddy beige on the walls, pedestal sink, no wall decor and an ugly mirror. 


We DID change out the light when we first moved in and so we'll be keeping that, which I love!




This bathroom is going to look a whole lot different, even though we're actually not going to be buying much or swapping any large items out. Here's the breakdown...


What's Staying:

+ Toilet
+ Sink
+ Lighting
+ Wainscotting

Project List:

+ Paint the walls a background color
+ My artist friend is going to be doing a floral pattern on the walls which is going to look like wallpaper (I'm SO EXCITED for this!!)
+ New Art for the back wall
+ New Mirror
+ New Towel 
+ New Rug

Outside of the wall artwork for the space, I'm going to try to keep the budget under $400 for the mirror, art hand towel and rug. I'm going to keep this as low budget and high impact as possible!

THE WALL INSPIRATION:
I really wanted to have some fun with pattern in this room because 1. it's small and 2. there's no better place to be bold than a half bath or laundry room, if you want to keep the rest of your house neutral and simple!

Like I mentioned above, my talented friend Chelsea is an amazing artist best known for bold, large-scale canvases (she's working on a custom piece for one of my client's now!) but she's also super talented at line drawings. She designs tattoos and paints murals in local shops and eateries. I'm so proud to be her friend! I'm so excited because Chelsea is going to be hand painting a line-drawn floral pattern on our bathroom walls and it's going to look like wallpaper! I think this means I'll have to stay in this house for a couple more years to enjoy this little bathroom with her artwork all over the walls :)


Here's what I know:
+ I want the color scheme to be in the blues or greens
+ I want the pattern to be floral

The main thing I have to decide before April, which is when she's coming to do the painting, is if I want to paint the walls white, like the wainscoting, and have Chelsea do a darker color (navy maybe?) line drawing on top of that, OR if I want to paint the walls dark and have her do the design in white. 

What would you do?! 

Besides this wall pattern, I'll hang some art on the back wall or maybe do two floating shelves (kind of nice to have a place for TP), and get some fresh new towels and a rug. The pattern and colors on the wall will dictate the direction of all those finishing touches, so I'll update you once I decide on the color scheme. 

I can't wait to see this little room come to life! It won't be long before I start telling guests they can now use the powder room ;)
xoxo


interior design website / services / portfolio

No comments

Thank you for stopping by! If you have a specific question, please email me at hello@michaelanoelledesigns.com. I always reply to emails! Have a blessed day! xoxo

Back to Top