Teenage Coastal Bedroom Reveal

This particular project has been a true joy for me! I have been working with Maggie for a few years on other parts of her home (coming soon!), so when she told me she wanted to redo her 12 year old daughter's room for her upcoming birthday, I was so excited. Turns out that Kate had a vision for her room and I was SO on board with her white, blue and gray coastal vision!

Let's start with the BEFORE...

It was still her "little girl room", perfectly purple and flowery. Kate wanted everything to be changed (except we kept her desk, which is a great size for the room) and made a much more grown up design plan for her! 



Her closet situation was one of the main things we addressed, which though I didn't give you an inside tour of, you can still see we added proper closet doors and had a closet design company install the perfect closet system for her! It's so much more functional now. 

OUR DESIGN PLAN:


With the main goal of making the room light, bright, and feel a lot bigger than it is (it's tiny!), we selected bedding that would help with those things and go with our slightly coastal nod. Touches of gold would help warm it up and give it a fun, feminine touch. 

THE REVEAL


Kate wasn't so sure she wanted any trim work on her walls, but after I explained how simple board and batten would help make the room look taller, she agreed. We all decided it's one of the best things we did for the space! It really added so much height. 



Her little desk space turned out so cute with her old desk, an updated chair and some simple accessories.




We upgraded her from a twin to a full bed and since the room is small to start with, we had to push it against the wall and do one nightstand on the right side of the bed. The nightstand being just under the window, I think it turned out great!





A cozy, inviting bed was a must! I fell in love with this sweet bedding and luckily, so did Kate and her mom!




A little burst of color above the bed brought in warmth and tied the coastal vibe in.


On the other side of the room, we did shelving for her to display some books, photos, etc. 




We also hung a large bulletin board for to display all of her photos!

The little pom-poms on the simple white curtains adds so much personality to the room. I think it's one of the things that still makes it feel like a teenager's room, while being updated and grown up. These curtains are layered on top of our roller shades, which we had custom made in black out. This eliminated the blinds and made the room look a lot more elegant, but also functional!

She didn't have a full length mirror, so we made sure to fix that for her!




I am so pleased with how this sweet room turned out and I hope Kate will enjoy it for years to come! (Heck, as a 31 year old, I know I would enjoy it ;))

Happy Monday!


interior design website / services / portfolio


If you're in search of design services for your home, I would love to help! I offer both full-service packages for local West Michigan residents and one hour consultations for virtual clients. Email me today to inquire! hello@michaelanoelledesigns.com




No comments

Thank you for stopping by! If you have a specific question, please email me at hello@michaelanoelledesigns.com. I always reply to emails! Have a blessed day! xoxo

Back to Top