6 Tips on How to Choose a Sunscreen

In Monday's post I shared lots of  facts about sunscreen including what to avoid in the ingredient list and what to look for instead. Today I'm giving you 6 steps to choosing a safer sunscreen for you and your family! Hopefully this will make it a little easier. 


1. CHOOSE MINERAL SUNSCREEN. Opt for products whose main ingredients are either zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. Chemical sunscreens are more popular because one of the complaints many people have regarding mineral (also known as "physical") sunscreens is the white, chalky-like residue they can and often do leave on the skin. However, Beautycounter's mineral sunscreens are formulated to blend easily onto skin with hardly any white residue. This is why I love Beautycounter.

Zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, sit on the surface of the skin and physically bounce or reflect sun’s rays away from the skin. Mineral sunscreens are great for people with sensitive skin as well as babies and kids.

2. BROAD SPECTRUM PROTECTION. Opt for sunscreens that protect against UVA (the rays that age) and UVB (the rays that burn).  Beautycounter's newly reformulated mineral sunscreens protect against UVA, UVB and Blue Light, all things we want to avoid to keep healthy skin.


3. NO RETINYL PALMITATE. Some sunscreens contain Retinol or Retinyl Palmitate (as many facial moisturizers with SPF often do). Studies have shown that this vitamin A derivative may trigger the development of skin tumors and lesions when used on the skin in the presence of sunlight. Yikes! It's best to avoid this ingredient! It is never found in any Beautycounter products as it's one of many products on The Never List.

4.  NON-AEROSOL SPRAY. If you prefer the ease of a sunscreen spray choose a non-aerosol option, as the propellant chemicals of aerosol cans can be harmful. Beautycounter's sunscreen spray is air-powered, delivering convenience without harsh chemicals. (They really do think of everything!)
5.  AVOID FRAGRANCES. Synthetic fragrances can have any number of harmful chemicals because they are considered "trade secrets" and they aren't legally obligated to report their ingredients. Isn't that crazy?! This is one of my favorite things about Beautycounter. All the ingredients are listed and everything has such a wonderful scent, usually made up of essential oils.

6. DON'T BE FOOLED BY CLEVER MARKETING: A lot of companies will claim they are paraben-free, gluten-free, vegan, cruelty-free. And while all these things are good, it still doesn't make the product SAFE. If a product is all of those things, but has fragrance or contains a couple other potentially harmful ingredients, the claims they make for marketing don't really matter, right?! We used to use a very well-known brand of sunscreen that said it was paraben and gluten free, so I thought I was in the clear. Come to find out, it has the two most harmful chemicals sunscreen can have! I felt a little lied to, not going to lie. This was about the time I joined Beautycounter, so I thankfully found our sunscreen as an amazing alternative.


If you need a couple different price point options, let me help! 

Beautycounter is obviously my first choice with the lotion, stick and spray, but SuntegrityGoddess Garden, and Alba Botanica are some other good choices! This is the lip balm I use when I'm in the sun to protect my lips.

And guess what? This week Beautycounter is launching a couple new sun products! We already have the Countersun Sunscreen Mist, but soon there will be two more options in tinted versions! This will give you a little glowy boost while also protecting you.

How could I resist rounding up some favorite summer pieces?! I rarely buy myself swim suits, but I did snag this one this year and I'm super excited about it! 
 
SHOP: 



Hopefully these tips in picking out a safer sunscreen are helpful to you!

Here's to the SUN!
xoxo

interior design website / services / portfolio

No comments

Thank you for stopping by! If you have a specific question, please email me at hello@michaelanoelledesigns.com. I always reply to emails! Have a blessed day! xoxo

Back to Top