Today I'm sharing a few things I do to keep my 600 square foot apartment looking put-together.
1. Make my bed. The second I wake up, I make it. If I don't do it then, it ain't happenin'!
our guest bedroom
2. Check the trash every morning to see if I need to take it out on my way out of the door.
3. After my morning tea and toast (with peanut butter) on the couch, I always clear my dishes and straighten my pillows a bit before moving on to the next task. This might sound silly, but if my couch looks nice and put together, I can concentrate better on work! Whatever makes me love my home more, right?!
my apartment pillows
4. At night before I go to sleep, I always do any straggling dishes that are in my sink and wipe off the counters, so I can wake up to a clean kitchen. There is nothing better than a sparkling clean sink and kitchen! (Okay, maybe there are a few things...like, for example, clean sheets :))
my apartment kitchen
Here are a few other tips for generally keeping a clutter-free home:
- Go through your closets periodically and get rid of things. Don't do too many at once, or ou will get overwhelmed. If it's a clothes closet, ask yourself if you've worn it in the last 6 months (and if it's a seasonal item that you only wear in summer of winter, ask yourself if you wore it last season). If the answer is no, throw.it.out. We don't want you to end up on Hoarders: Buried Alive ;)
- When you buy new things for your home or wardrobes, ask yourself if you have a place for it. If you can't think of one quickly, or your answer is you will have to get rid of something else to make room, you might want to wait.
- Don't start something without finishing it. If you open mail and get bills, paychecks, etc., take care of them right then! Recycle the envelopes immediately so paper clutter doesn't build up.
- Storage bins are your friends. So are baskets and other things to keep items in their place. I'm reorganizing one of my closets and going to get some storage baskets. I can't wait to show you!
- For any clients of mine who struggle with containing papers or mail, I always recommend getting one of these trays. Keeping mail or papers you need to go through on one tray in a designated area will help you stay organized, contain the mess and hopefully get to it in a timely fashion. Trust me :)
client office reveal
- Remember that your home should reflect you, what you love, your personal style, and things that have meaning to you. If an item in your home doesn't check one of those boxes, get it out of there!
- This post from The Inspired Room is really helpful if you want to declutter your home over the course of 2015. I'm excited to join in with some of the month's challenges!
- I once heard that having people over regularly helps you keep your house picked up automatically!
I love this quote that a famous textile designer shared years and years ago...
Do you have a daily routine you use to help you in maintaining a clean, organized home you love? The most important part, of course, is the last bit of the sentence: a home you love. What help you love your home?!
Hope these tips help. I'd love to hear yours! Happy Wednesday!