Tabletop Styling Tips with West Elm



Today I'm showing you a little peek at my time speaking at West Elm last Tuesday. West Elm invited me to the Junior League of Grand Rapids event to style a tablescape and teach the ladies a few things about putting together a holiday table.




I started with the Emmerson Dining Table:


First I put down the Embroidered Dot Table Runner. Instead of only doing one charger, I went with two to dress it up a bit more. Then I layered with white textured plates. Since metallics are so in AND very holiday, I mixed metals. A silver charger, champagne colored second charger and gold flatware all work well together.


I absolutely love these dark charcoal napkins! Tied with a silver or gold napkin ring (I alternated them) really made the color come alive. I finished the napkins with sprig of the same greenery that was in the arrangements on the table.




The gorgeous vases were one of my favorite things about the tablescape. You know you can mix metals when both silver and gold are on the same vessel! I was also obsessed with the the gold rimed drinking glasses and the tiny little coupe glasses.


Here are more of my favorite tabletop items:




Want in on the tips I shared at the event?! Well, you're in luck :) 

1. Start with a clean slate.

2. Pick out your chargers and dishes based on an inspiration for the gathering. Maybe you have a color story, a holiday, theme, monochromatic look, mixing metals, etc.

3. When decorating any part of your home, remember to layer. Layering gives the “collected over time” look that yields an inviting, cohesive look. Combining old pieces with the new, layering textures, objects, and live plants are all great ways to bring the look to life. For the dining table we are going to layer a charger, dinner plate and salad plate, and then set the napkin on top. 

4. Adding personal details, like name place cards, is always a nice touch.
5. Utilize different heights throughout the tablescape. You can do this in stacking dishes, the centerpieces, etc.

6. Bring something fresh to the mix. Putting together a simple arrangement of flowers for your centerpiece brings life to the table. Other thoughtful elements would be giving each place setting their own bud vase with a flower or sprig of greenery. If you want to switch it up and forgo the flower look, try a centerpiece of fresh fruit.

7. Set the mood and ambiance for the gathering with the appropriate lighting. Whether this is through dimming your overhead lighting or lighting a few tea lights, this will set the tone for the party.

What a fun event it was with Junior League and West Elm! I was honored to be a part of it.

Have a great weekend!
xoxo
Photobucket

1 comment

  1. Great tips and design! That is such a fun and cool experience :) Thanks for sharing!

    Lauren Baxter | Lovely Decor
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! If you have a specific question, please email me at hello@michaelanoelledesigns.com. I always reply to emails! Have a blessed day! xoxo

Back to Top