I'm a big believer in putting yourself out there and asking for opportunities, instead of sitting around and hoping they come your way. After all, the worst a person can say is no, and even then I can assure you that another opportunity will come a-knocking really soon.
It's no secret that I have adored Emily Henderson from the start; I read her blog back before she was even on Design Star. After she won and had her own show, I was even more in love with her work and style. Her bubbly personality, fun approach to design and approachability were all so appealing to me. I decided to go out on a limb and email her, asking to shadow her on a project here in Los Angeles. It's safe to say I about fainted when I read her reply! I really didn't expect a reply, but there I was reading Emily's email back, saying she'd love to set something up. Dream.Come.True.
Last Friday I was able to shadow her on a big photo shoot for a print magazine that will hit news stands in May. It was so, so fun to see a behind the scenes look at a photo shoot for a magazine. Here are a few things I learned:
1. It is not as it seems in the magazine. While the actual shot looks beautiful and perfect, the rest of the room is in disarray! But it's totally awesome chaos.
2. Taping curtains to a wall to "rig" the look is completely acceptable.
3. Pretty flowers, the perfect accessories and lots of books make the photo.
4. Styling one vignette can take a reallly long time. The photographer snaps the photo, then Emily checked it and would tweak everything until she loved it. So fun to watch.
5. It's a whole day affair. 8am-5pm! Worth every second.
I'm also happy to report that Emily lived up to every expectation and she's truly the best, most energetic and fun person. I'm so thankful to have had this opportunity! So, to all you young friends out there-- just take a step of faith and put yourself out there :)
Emily is holding a nightstand styling competition in partnership with Serena & Lily. I would love for you to vote for my nightstand and enter your own. It's pretty awesome!
Have a wonderful Monday! What did you do this weekend?