Curtain Call

After getting home a few days ago, my mom let me know she was ready to revamp the family room with a few "easy fixes".  This ruled out painting because I'm really messy.  I've been dying to change out these curtains in the family room for quite some time. You'll see why...they're about 5 years old. I think I was out of my mind when I helped her pick them (;  

Here's the before:

Notice the placement of the table on the right hand corner.


My mom and I wanted something lighter, brighter and more chic. So we went to Pottery Barn, of course!
We saw these adorable curtain panels and snatched them up.  The pattern is subtle enough, but still adds some warmth. Over the summer we're ripping up the carpet and painting the walls a soft carmel color to give it some depth.


What do you think?

Before showing the rest of the room, I have to admit I made a mistake when we picked up the curtains. Well, not really a mistake, but maybe a miscalculation (:  I got home, strung the curtains on the rod, loved them, then look down:

Apparently the 50 X 85 was too short for the height of our window.
For about 5 minutes I was freaking out and called PB to ask if they had the 96" panels. They didn't, so all of a sudden I got a bright idea!  I ran to Target to pick up these little alligator clips in order to allow the panel to be dropped down about 3 inches. We gained all the height we needed just by these little clips:

Make sure to clip one right on the end, then space the rest out evenly.

Here's the finished product:
I'm sure you can guess that giant TV was my dad's doing.
Loving the new placement of the table, but we still need to get two matching baskets for underneath the table to hide the Wii controls and cords.

Here are some other small touches we added to the room:


Fresh flowers, a new colorful runner, and a hurricane jar full of lemons and limes.

Just for fun, here's the other side of our family room:
So far, we're loving the changes and really looking forward to Spring.  

Isn't it amazing what just switching out the curtains can do for a room? What small changed have you made to a room that totally transformed it?

Love and a Colorful Family Room Updates,

27 comments

  1. Love the new look! The color is great... and what a smart fix by just adding those alligator clips. The placement of the table fills the empty wall space nicely too.

    p.s. I know I'm up pretty late, but I can't sleep. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE it! awesome job girl :) i always help my momma out too, i'm sure yours loved having her little girl there to give her some decor inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the new curtains! Made such a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love it!
    I dont really know anything about design and I never even knew anything like alligator clips existed! When i first read it i though it was literally clips with alligators on them or something ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buying those alligator clips was a freaking brilliant move, Michaela!!! I have some curtains in an upstairs room that don't quite hit the floor either, but I was just too lazy to do anything about it.... I may see about buying some of these amazing little contraptions!!

    PS - I think your parent's living room is lovely as it is, but it would really be taken to the next level if you painted that brick white and painted the walls a darker shade of cream/neatral. I can just see it in my mind, and it looks maaahvelous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous curtains! i have this thing about curtains - i LOVE them. my poor husband, i'm always making him hang new ones. in our house we have to have the rods right up by the ceiling...a huge pain in the rear if you're the one with the drill!

    thank you for your sweet comment on my blog - you're a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those curtains are so fun! It is amazing what a little touch-up here and there can do for a room. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. The new curtains are fab!! I always love rearranging furniture or styling something differently for a fresh look :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE your curtain choice and such a smart solution using the alligator clips to get the length you need... smarty pants! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE those curtains they made such a big difference in the room! great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the curtains!! Definitely gives the room more definition! My mom has been wanting me to help get her house re-decorated too! Can't wait to get started on that :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i hopped over from ten june and wanted to say hi! i love your blog and am about to become your newest follwer.... as soon as i finish this comment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks SO great, Michaela! I love the new look of the curtains. The ones that we hung in our bedroom are a little short, so I may have to try alligator clamps, too! Love the fresh flowers, as always! : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE the new curtains! They just pull the room together :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The new curtains look adorbale love!! Great work you little stylist :) Xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. how fun to do this with your mom!! I love it :) and great idea with the curtains!

    ReplyDelete
  17. the new curtains look great! i love when a few simple changes, make a room feel brand new!

    ReplyDelete
  18. love love love the new curtains, you are so clever my little blyping bbf.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahh! Cute blog post M :) Great and easy fix, I can't wait for this summer when you paint, I'd love to help :)
    <3LYSS

    ReplyDelete
  20. So so cute! And the PERFECT solution! OMG...I need to keep that in mind for future projects! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. 120% better. Nice choice!

    Men and their big TV's. I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just found your blog and I LOVE it! I used to live in the Bay Area too! But now I live in the Sacramento area. You just gained a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those clips always make curtains look more stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi! Just found your blog :)
    I love the new curtains! Great tip to "lengthen" them too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was just perusing through my PB catalog that came this week and I saw these curtains in there...totally thought of you! They're gorg! Xo, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the new look! :o)

    And wanted to let you know I gave you the Versatile Blogger Award, be sure to check out my blog for details! :o)

    -Samantha

    http://thisfashionista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! If you have a specific question, please email me at hello@michaelanoelledesigns.com. I always reply to emails! Have a blessed day! xoxo

Back to Top