New Bedroom Design

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Yes, this whole post is in green in honor of March 17th. I really know nothing about the holiday other than it's highly advised to wear green.  
Almost done with finals. Great news for all of us- you don't have to listen to me complain anymore and I don't have to study for another 10 days, because I'll be on break! Holla.


When I was 13 my mom ordered me new furniture for my "teenage" room. I was so thrilled! But now that I'm 20 and I'm developing my own style, I'm ready to get some new furniture in my room.  But this DIY girl ain't buying no expensive furniture (: I'm hunting Craigslist, doing some garage saling {yes, it's now a verb}, and going to my local Goodwill and thrift shops.  Operation: Find Ugly Furniture and Refinish It is now in full effect.

Out with the old:

This is the desk and there's a matching dresser, but I don't have a picture.

Here's the look I'm going for:


DRESSER:
1.

2.
Centsational Girl
3.
pottery barn

4. The organic and vintage feel to this dresser makes me so happy. I hope I find something like this!
craigslist

DESK:
1. The baskets give the desk such a casual chic feel:
pottery barn

2. Love this look! Wouldn't it be fun to find a cheaper version of this to fix up?!
pottery barn

3. Love the simple lines of this desk:
pottery barn

So here's the plan:

I'm looking for rustic, old, damaged, ugly furniture with good shape and form {cause that's the one thing you can't change}.  Once I find it, I'm going to refinish the pieces, paint them white, and do a lacquer or varnish over the white to give it that vintage feel.  I can't wait!  

Then I'm doing to find an old mirror for above the dresser and some floating shelves for above the desk. 

Which dresser and desk are your favs? Have any refinishing tips or tricks??


Announcements!
I'm guest posting over at Pawleys Island Posh

where I'm chatting it up about traveling and my love for my purple suitcases.

Also, if you get a spare minute, you could seriously make my day by going to the Whippy Cake Facebook Page, "like" it, then scroll down to find my comment and "like" my comment, too! If I get the most "likes" on my comment, I win new headbands....and what's in it for you, you may ask? If I win, I'm doing a giveaway here on my blog! Yahoo.

Love and Operation: Find Ugly Furniture and Refinish It,

35 comments

  1. I love your old look but the other 'new' options are awesome!!! I love plain(ish) clean looks with simple pastel accents. I hope you find something you love really soon! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your comment on facebook. Also I am way excited to see what you come up with.
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas! - It's sometimes hard to bridge that gap between getting rid of your "teenage" room and making into something that is more young adult chic :)

    Looks like a lot of work ahead, but I can't wait to see the finished product!

    xoxo
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these. I can't wait to see what you find and how you refurbish it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them all! Most are my favs from PB. Each of my girls have an old dresser (Elie a long one, Kate a tall) that are similar that I redid for each of them. I wanted them to each have a piece they could take with them. Elie uses hers in her living room now for a TV stand (uses the drawers for dvds and such).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the love frames on your current desk! I love all of your ideas! Pottern Barn is awesome! I love how you're going to refinish the furniture yourself :) So crafty!

    Have a great day! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay!! Sounds like some fun furniture makeovers are headed our way : ) Looks like some adorable ideas. GOOD LUCK with your finals- there is a light at the end of the tunnel!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all those white desks!! Very pretty :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, so I saw you at Pawley Island Posh this a.m. and yesterday at Honey We're Home! Too funny-- love your blog, glad I stumbled upon it:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I officially want you to come to Mississippi and teach me how to be awesome like you. I don't have a creative bone in my body, but I SO WISH I DID! I know your room is going to look fabulous when you get it all fixed up! You're making me want to go thrift huntin' today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds fab!! I love the dressers you chose! I think my favourite desk is the pottery barn one that you posted yesterday as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'm loving dresser #4 and desk #2 as well!!! i hope you have luck finding good stuff... it can be so hard sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE that desk with the baskets and the secretary desk! Thanks for the inspiration I have been wanting to redo my desk area for a while now! good luck!

    Jenny
    http://roadtobliss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this!! I just got a new white desk and dresser and can't wait to refinish it to be more vintage... do you have any good tutorials on that?? :0) I love the pottery barn dresser/desk! mmm... love!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That dresser from Craigslist is my fav! I love finding old things and giving them new life!

    My only advice SAND AND PRIME!!! It's a pain but will help your furniture look the best and stay looking purty the longest! :)

    xo!Lauren @ tickled.

    ReplyDelete
  16. we did this with all of our furniture (or are in the process still) my suggestions:

    definitely use a primer
    definitely use spray paint (not as many color options, but since your using white it looks SO much more professional
    i recommend krylons (its the best!
    use this (you can get it where you buy spray paint) it will save your life!:

    http://makezine.com/pub/tool/Spray_Can_Trigger_Handle

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE LOVE dresser #2 and the flip down top desk! I love desks like that! I just think they have such a vintage feel! xoxo

    alldaylovely.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the old, shabby-chic look! CraigsList is incredible, we've found so much stuff there. Poor newlyweds, ya know:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. i have no idea to refinish anything. at all. but im happy to have u take the lead on this, and then help me when we both return to cali.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fun projects! I love painted furniture...but I don't like painting furniture. My advice is to find out what type of finish is on it to begin with. Some pieces you might not have to sand down so do some googling when you go to buy paint!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have to say, I love the Censational Girl dresser and PB desk with the baskets for storage! I am sure whatever you do though--it will be amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like those last two desks that you showed... I can't wait to see what you find while 'garage saling'! How exciting.

    Happy hunting. (:

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your made by girl prints! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  24. how exciting!! i love all of your options, they are all gorgeous. it will be so fun, cant wait to see the process xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love all the dressers! We have similar taste! Have a great St pattys day sweet girl! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've never redone anything. I love dresser #2. I think it's my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love all of your ideas! You're going to have an awesome room when you are finished! (P.S. I absolutely adore the yellow "LOVE" picture on your current desk.)

    ~Tiffany
    http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are all great! I know you'll be able to find the perfect dresser and desk to fix up :)

    My fave is the second desk! I always love the ones that fold down like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love those inspiration pictures! I am obsessed with white furniture-it looks so clean and fresh! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great inspirations! I like the flip top desk best!

    ReplyDelete
  31. can't wait to see it--it will look amazing! you have some mad style:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've done my share of refinishing. It's a labor of love!

    I'm loving all the dressers...just depends on what size you need. I think the type of "hanging" handle on dressers 1, 2 and 4 give it a more vintage look. For #3, if you changed it to a "crystal" knob I think it would look amazing. (But that's just me.)

    Desk #3 is my favorite. I think it looks sophisticated and airier. (Is that a word? ;) Visually, it takes up less space.

    Can't wait to see what you find. For my sewing studio, I bought a china hutch on Craigslist and painted it white and added new hardware. Good as new and I love how it displays my colorful fabrics!

    Praying the fundraiser goes well for your friend tomorrow! (Did my package arrive yet?)

    Sophisticated Steps

    ReplyDelete
  33. Awesome guest post Michaela!! I never thught about taking a Benadryl before flying! Brilliant. I'll most definitely be implementing that one! ;)

    PS - I love ALL the desks. I could never choose!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love all of these desks!! The simple clean lines are beautiful along with the white color, and the dressers are gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! If you have a specific question, please email me at hello@michaelanoelledesigns.com. I always reply to emails! Have a blessed day! xoxo

Back to Top