Pattern Happy

Hi friends! Thank you SO much for all your kind words about my DIY Chevron Dresser. Y'all made me blush (: 
***

{above images via}


{via}


{via}


{via}


{above images via}


{via}


Whether your style is modern, whimsical, traditional or a combo of all of the above, learning how to mix patterns is so important in the world of design.  Pattern, color and texture are a room's three biggest characteristics.  Pattern choice says a lot about a space, and it's really what gives a room its personality!
The images above are interior spaces I simply adore, mostly because of their sensible pattern mixing choices, and without the error of being too matchy-matchy.  Sarah Richardson and Tobi Fairley are two of the designers I think have an amazingly keen eye for a playful, yet sophisticated mix of fabric choices (both Sarah and Tobi's designs are featured above).


Here are my tips when adding pattern to your next space:


1. Things don't have to match, they just have to "go".
2. A healthy dose of geometric and organic prints in one single space creates great harmony.
3. If the "lead" pattern has a large scale print, be sure to alter the scale of the supporting fabrics.
4. Take risks, but have a second set of eyes take a peek at your patterns to see if they think it's a pleasing combo, too!
5. Most importantly, express YOU and tell a story with your fabric choices.


What are some of your favorite fabric combo's? Have you mixed any fun patterns lately??
Love,
Photobucket


PS. Welcome to my newest sponsor, Allie of Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust!
Allie is such a sweet soul and writes about her adventures in being a college student in hot-hot-hot Arizona.  We have a lot in common, as we're both from California, and both love the Lord! Check out her blog for inspiration on all levels (:
xo

17 comments

  1. Love mixing patterns. I use pillows a lot to play with patterns as they aren't too expensive and can easily be changed out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the patterns! I always shy away and use solid colors. Your tips are wonderful and I wanted to ask how you could know if patterns 'go' together?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh I love these rooms M! You are so talented and I am so blessed to have you as a best friend.
    Love <3LYSS

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of these !! Too bad Mr. Charming doesn't like anything "girly!" ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the mix of patterns! It looks amazing, when done right! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. my new favorite thing is monochrome with mixed textures, or a color palette with mixed textures. I can never mix patterns in a way that I like!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always great advice...and great eye candy! How yummy is that one with the orange curtains and cow hide rug???

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love a good mix job :) different scales of patterns is what i live for in a room. i am slowly learning the art myself.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely eye candy pics. And great tips for adding pattern to your space.
    p.s. LOVED your chevon dresser too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love these pictures! i am currently in the midst of recovering a wing back chair and haven't picked out the fabric yet. i want a pattern so i am going to be using your tips for picking one out!

    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My very favorite is the last picture with the animal print above the bed. and then unifying it with the black and white trim on the drapery. Love the mix of the colors.
    Designs by Belinda.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. they dont have to match - they just have to go. LOVE that - so true. these pics are amazing!

    PS - forgot what blog but just saw one where they won a design package from you and you did their foyer - it looked AMAZING! you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This round up is amazing. I totally agree. A good mix can be so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love these tips! I will definitely be revisiting these when we move!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, i love these! I got lots of favorites from all these looks :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Patterns can certainly have quite the impact on a room. Recently we've been house hunting and have come across some homes with really dated patterns... ugh. I love all of these, & I'm currently "pinning" my favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that top bedroom! So cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! If you have a specific question, please email me at hello@michaelanoelledesigns.com. I always reply to emails! Have a blessed day! xoxo

Back to Top