Put it on the Shelf

So far this quarter, I've learned a lot. But you know what one thing in particular has really hit me?! As a designer, I need a lot of books. Lots and lots and lots. Not just text books, but also home magazines, other design texts, business books {for running my residential firm one day!}, catalogues, coffee table books, binders and files for clients....the list goes on and on!


You know what lots of books mean, though, right? Pretty bookshelves. And some fun accessories and styling. 


You know how little jars, vases, accessories and trinkets thrill me, so I've rounded up a few of my favorite styled bookshelves as of lately. Mine is down at the bottom (:


Slight gray background, mix of books and collectables. 
via
Bold color, books galore!
via
Well balanced and well layered.

Fun color and favorite things displayed.
via
Display of boxes, pottery, trays and more!
via


In my opinion, the keys to great bookshelf displays are:
Relatively organized {start clean, take down what you have and put things back in an orderly manner}
Well balanced {leaning some books horizontal and some vertical, skipping shelves in which you put books on, using color to help the decor feel balanced}
Layer {stack books, then put an accessory on top of the stack, put a picture frame toward the back of the shelf and display accessories in front...}
Personalize {display things you love or that have importance to you!}


I can't wait to have a wall of custom designed, built-in shelving, but for now this will due:


Along with this shabby chic box for extra storage:
room photos via


Do you love bookcases as much as me? What's your favorite way to display?


Love,
Photobucket


PS. Today is the last day to enter the Love Stitched Giveaway!

25 comments

  1. Love, love, love bookcases! So much so, I've told hubby I want to add some to our bedroom!! I have the same colored pencils from Anthro...aren't they cute?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, those pencils. Still swooning over them. :) Love the photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always been a big fan of bookshelves. I think it's because in the two houses that we've built my mom has put SO much importance on having lots and lots of them!! Can't wait to carry to tradition in my own home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, some rooms just need a bookcase. Great styling is key to distinguishing great style from clutter. I am on a hunt for the perfect bookcase for my new home office. I love these images!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving all these well thought out bookshelves! And I'm so with you, a large built-in bookshelf is at the top of priorities for my someday home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love bookcases too! I really want a personal library some day.... with lots of shelves for books and things. I have one bookshelf just full of books standing vertical, but I have another little bookcase with everything mixed in... some books are vertical and some horizontal. I sort of like that mix.

    I love the photo you shared of the 'well balanced and well layered' bookcase. Yours looks great too! I love that white lantern on your top shelf. (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO with you on this one...there is nothing like a fabulous bookshelf with great styling to get my heart racing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pop of color and the layering! Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love bookcases like these! This post makes me want to build on in my own apartment. So cute! I just love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i looooveeee book cases. and books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love book cases! I am dying to have some white ones with the wall behind painted a glossy black (like one of your pictures). Right now the only kind I have are ladder shelves so I can't do my paint idea with them. Someday though....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm having a bookcase in my new room and I'm so excited that I even wrote my own post showing bookcases. hahaa. I love how unique each one can be.

    ReplyDelete
  14. loving all of the photos you chose! i'm just now learning that my bookcases don't have to be just for books :) took me long enough!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw an idea for bookcases/shelves in a magazine that I loved- you take old drawers and screw them, bottom flat against the wall, with knobs facing out, and up, and all different directions for a really cool look!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love book cases! I always style/organize my books by color - just like I do in my closet!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Michaela! How did you know? I have an empty bookshelf in my new office that is desperate need of some love...feeling inspired by these photos (although I really wish I could just fly you down here to decorate for me!)!! Xo, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm with you!! I love love love books (especially design ones!) and I think trinkets are essential, especially ones that add color to the bookshelf!

    Love your owl!

    Champagne Lifestyle on a Beer Budget

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great inspiration pictures. I keep trying to convince Matt we need some built ins in our den to store all my trinkets and books!

    ReplyDelete
  20. pinned!!! =) such insanely awesome ideas! <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love bookcases!! and well styled ones at that! the first photo is my fave!

    ReplyDelete
  22. bookshelves! they always leave me a bit stumped~ such fan ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE bookshelves! I also really want an antique card catalog someday (but that's another story!) Alas, I must ask: Where is that gorgeous dress from? I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. i love this post! i just took everything off my main bookshelf to try and reorganize but i never can get it quite right. i guess it's a work in progress. x

    ReplyDelete
  25. What great example of beautifully styled bookcases. Hope you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! If you have a specific question, please email me at hello@michaelanoelledesigns.com. I always reply to emails! Have a blessed day! xoxo

Back to Top