Before & After: Kitchen Nook Update

I mentioned a few weeks ago here on the blog that my family was in the process of making a few updates to our kitchen nook and family room. This obviously excites me! Here's our to-do list:
- Replace kitchen light fixture {check!}
- New kitchen table {check!}
- New mirror or art for kitchen nook
- New couch in family room
- New coffee table/ottoman

Last week we checked off the first two things on the list and I'm here today to show the results.  We live in a traditional ranch-style home, complete with cozy exposed brick and pretty hardwood floors. The kitchen breakfast nook overlooks the family room, but the family room is on the smaller side, so we needed to update this little nook and make it feel bigger at the same time.  The best way to achieve this was to replace the light fixture {yep...the 70's called and they needed it back:)} We opted for a chandelier that was more delicate and took up less visual space {ie. smaller wrought iron with crystals, instead of a heavy gold and large down lights}.  As for the table, our old kitchen table was 12 years old. Time for an update! My clients...aka my parents... requested something with more contrast to the hardwood floors.  I couldn't agree more! Here's the before and after:






I'm obsessed with the chandelier. We went with frosted bulbs at 40 watts each. The clear bulbs Pottery Barn suggested created too many shadows, and at 15 watts were not nearly bright enough. The only thing left to do for this area is to pick out some placemats and choose different art or a mirror for that wall.  Any suggestions??

I have to take a second to brag about another great deal we found, because this table was such a steal! The chairs are look-a-like Pottery Barn Napoleon chairs. Pottery Barn sells  them for around $200 {give or take}.  We bought this whole table, four chairs and a bench for $799!!! Yes, that deserved 3 exclamation points ;) After the nice salesman told us the price, there really were no other questions to be asked. SOLD
**We bought our table here.  Our chandelier is on sale now at Pottery Barn **

Those are all the updates to share for today. I'm excited to share a few other things going on around our house this week. Can't believe I'm going to say it, but we're starting to welcome Fall in small doses.  Have you made any updates to your home recently? 

Enjoy your Monday!
Love,
Photobucket

16 comments

  1. I loveee the chandelier! it's perfect since it's not too big and overwhelming for that room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks cute!
    Love the chandy!

    ;-)

    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple changes. Huge impact. Looking sooo good!

    Do you have any idea how many people need to send their light fixtures back in time? Lol. Rhetorical, of course...I'm sure you know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The chandelier is beautiful! Perfect for the nook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. I've been wanting to change the top finish on my kitchen table for awhile but had been thinking I'd go white on the base and natural on top. But now I'm thinking I like the dark base and natural top look you have going here. Still rustic but a little more sophisticated and less "country." Love the changes the so far!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it looks great! It's amazing what a simple change can do to improve a room.

    Btw, I'm so glad I found you and your blog! You've given me so many fun little design ideas to spruce up our apartment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! I love the chandelier!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks so good, I love what you've done with the table and chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh, I love it!! I usually don't like black furniture, but this looks so amazing! And that chandelier is gorgeous :) I'm excited to see the next updates!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the chandy is perfect ! so beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love love love the chandelier and table! Such a good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love the chandelier and the dark wood makes such a nice contrast so the pieces don't just blend together. Good luck finding some original artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We didnt do any big make over, just some small changes

    http://karenfongruiz.blogspot.com/2012/08/a-few-changes.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love teh after, looks so pretty!

    http://sophisticated-sisters.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! If you have a specific question, please email me at hello@michaelanoelledesigns.com. I always reply to emails! Have a blessed day! xoxo

Back to Top