Dishin' on Design Dilemmas No. 3

Today I'm addressing my sweet friend, Nicole's, question:

I have many questions swimming around in my head. Haha! Here is my big one right now. A lot of the trends I'm seeing (on pinterest, mainly) are shabby chic and scream GIRLY. I really like several styles that I have been seeing, but when thinking about a future home, I usually picture a husband there. And I don't think he wants to live in a house that could easily pass for a bachelorette pad. How can you get a good mix of shabby chic and manly man? 


Love this question, because I think the issue is rarely addressed!  Here's my take on this problem...


My advice is to mix shabby chic elements with the following:
1. Clean lines
2. Geometric patterns
3. Darker stain finishes
For example, if you want to follow the shabby chic trend with crisp, fluffy, white bedding, just balance it out with some geometric patterned pillows on top.  If you want a pretty upholstered headboard, try a simple shape, like a rectangle, with no tufting.  A simple color like gray is a great compromise.  If you want a white chaise lounge, pick one with clean lines instead of curves.  When choosing your plush rug, choose one with a shorter pile cut and simple design.  Choose darker furniture, but dress it up with your favorite Anthro knobs (: 


Nicole told me they enjoy dark furniture and crisp clean colors like neutrals, blues and greens.  Here's what I came up with for Nicole and her future husband:




You're probably thinking the chandelier is a little girlie...YEP. You have to hold your ground somewhere, ladies! (: Over all it's a very geometric, stylish space that still alludes to the shabby chic style without screaming a girl lives here.


What is your advice for this topic?
What are YOUR design dilemmas?!


*****
Big Announcement! I'm so excited to tell you all I'm now taking on clients for e-design.
I'll be offering several packages, tailored to each of your needs.


I'll be taking a few clients per month and am now accepting for the month of June.  Since it's my first month offering e-design services, I'm extending a $10 off discount if you sign up in June.  I'd love nothing more than to help you fall in love with your space (:
E-mail me at michaelawarner90@gmail.com if you're interested!


Happy Thursday!
Love,
Photobucket

29 comments

  1. I agree with you, my boyfriend does not care how our home looks so I'm very lucky. But ofcourse I don't make it too girly. Just mixing some girly things in a modern look :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the look! - Especially the rug and the idea of adding pillows with geometric shapes on them to the house!

    xoxo
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I know your e-design will take off quickly! You are one talented lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would so happy with this look in my bedroom. So excited you are starting an online design service you will do fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rug is amazing! I would be happy to be living in that room. and I think the Chandelier is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for answering my question, sweet friend! I LOVE this room, and I can definitely see a man being okay living there too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with the clean lines. You put together a great inspiration board! I personally love a more mixed look - masculine with feminine is more interesting to me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous job on your board. I love the colors. You have the perfect mix of manly and girly colors and features. The clean lines are great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love clean lines in design and there is nothing wrong with a girly chandelier. I am so lucky to have a husband who supports me in anything I do - even designing our home.

    Congrats on offering services now! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the design!

    And congrats! Very exciting news :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. awesome news, lady!! i hope you get a lot of inquiries ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. congrats on the beginning of your career!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the design board you put together...definitely feminine with a mix of masculine and chic chic chic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. congrats girl on your new lil business!!

    I have that chandelier and love it..the great thing is that it's cheap too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a great question! I had trouble putting things on my wedding registry exactly because of that. And my husband is the manly kind of guy! I love the board you put together!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so adorable! I love this idea. That room is gorgeous and is tempting me to already re-do ours! :) I can't wait to see how your business goes, hope you post some of the stuff on here for us to see! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are great tips, love the pics.
    xoxo C.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am SO excited you are doing design services because I'm going to need it when we move into our own place!! :) and you're so amazing at it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hehehe...I'm just giggling because she is so sweet to actually consider the Mister in the design, my poor hubby has the white bed with floral (graphic floral, mind you) pillows on it. Poor fella. I swear I try to think of him when I'm decorating, it's just so *HARD*! (c:

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahhhh, how exciting for your e-design services!!! I will definitely be needing them one day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your suggestion of an upholstered headboard in a simple shape. I've wanted an upholstered headboard for awhile and my husband has been poopooing the idea, I'm going to try and persuade him with a rectangular one. Great idea! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. look at you girl! Your ready to work. :). MAybe you'll be living and working in CALIFORNIA by the time I'm married and have a home. I don't do to well in the interior design department but I could definitely put an outfit together. Your ideas were pretty practical and smart!


    ♥cheche

    http://savedthrulove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. another fantastic board!! i love that rug and chaise/bench...

    congrats on taking the next step... very excited for you!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great inspiration board!

    Congrats on the e-design: what a fun summer adventure! Good luck! Can't wait to see the first one!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so exciting girl!! Good luck to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. YAY!!! So excited lovey dovey :) You're amazing!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. YAY!!! So excited lovey dovey :) You're amazing!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mine is our bedroom. We have a wall with a small crawl space door and I don't know how to decorate the wall with the eyesore. It is off to the side and looks horrible! Couple that with having to move a treadmill into my bedroom and it has turned into the least favorite room in my house. How do you make an eyesore such as a small crawl space door blend in and or a treadmill not be all you look at?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! If you have a specific question, please email me at hello@michaelanoelledesigns.com. I always reply to emails! Have a blessed day! xoxo

Back to Top