In a world that is so obsessed with Pinterest and all the same trends, it can be tough to stay creative and continue creating fresh content. Something I teach about at The Bloom Workshop is how to stay true to your self and avoid making your work look like everyone else's. I will admit, it's hard to stay on top of staying authentic, especially when something is trending so clearly like gold, blush, and confetti, among other things. Here are my tips for staying creative in a pinterest-obsessed world:
1. Develop your own creative process. I will share about mine in the next few weeks! It involves lots of tea ;) What inspires you? Do it often! Then come back to your desk with new ideas.
- Drink coffee or tea that awakens your senses.
- Take breaks.
- Go out into nature for a walk.
- Make a list of things that fill you with joy.
- Listen to classical music.
- Bounce ideas off a friend in another creative field. I do this often with Lauren!
- Cut out pictures that inspire you from glossy magazines. Yes, those still exist ;)
- Stay educated in your craft. There's always more to learn!
2. Don't just be a follower. Inspiration is a good thing, but idolizing, comparing and drooling over other's work in your specific field is a disaster in the making. At least it is for me! I work really hard to not go visit the instagram accounts and website of other designers, because I quickly fall into the ugly comparison game. Here's what I do instead:
- Find your strengths and work to refine them. Maybe this is newborn photography, kitchen and bath interior design, branding for creative businesses only, etc.
- Look at other creative professionals in different fields for inspiration, being careful not to copy those in YOUR field. I love looking at fashion trends for inspiration in the interior design and decorating world-- what's coming down the runways? What are the current trends in graphic design and photography? Chances are those trends will translate well into your own field and give you inspiration for your next project.
- Instead of sitting behind a screen wishing you could create something beautiful, get out and actually execute!
3. Mix it up and generate your ideas before searching Pinterest. Pinterest is a great tool, but only after you have dreamed up your own initial ideas.
- Generate your own ideas first (even if they are far-fetched) then look at those sources for project ideas and details they used to create something fresh of your own.
- Take old ideas and breathe new life into them. How can you use blush and gold in interiors and make it look like a brand new thing? How can you turn a regular midwest barn wedding on it's side and interpret it differently than anyone else?
All event design photos Ashley Slater Photography
For more tips and creative business owners strategies, come to The Bloom Workshop! We'd love to meet you. What do you do to try to stay creative and original?!