On My Desk No. 6: Room Inspired By a Painting



There two kinds of students in design school: those are who free spirits, who can see an object and do an entire room inspired by the feeling of that object. I don't just mean "decorate" around it, I talkin' come up with a whole theme, concept, with meanings, hidden meanings and bizarre / awesome thoughts to support their design. This type of student functions better without parameters. 
Then there's the type of student who needs a print out of the project with a checklist of details to turn in, freaks out when there are no guidelines (and is told "the sky is the limit") and is paralyzed if you give her something and say "design an art gallery space around this painting."

I'll give you one guess as to which of the above prototypes I am.

Ah, yes. I'm the second. What can I say?! I'm creative, but really like guidelines, a checklist, and would rather not be given a painting, sculpture, or object to be create an entire room around. Well you guessed it, that painting up there is the painting I chose for my next design assignment.  I have to design an art exhibition space, or gallery to hang this painting in, inspired by the feelings, emotions, concepts, and meanings found in this painting.

Here's where you come in. If you have any awesome ideas, I'd love to hear! I'll tell you my initial idea and see what you think of it.  Luckily I'm an art nerd and actually love Nighthawk by Edward Hopper, so I was glad to have chosen this painting (if I haaaddd to do the assignment ;)) My plan is to create an art gallery space that looks very similar to the diner seen in the painting. I will use a lot of glass, mimicking the glass wall in the painting, and have metal stools lining the gallery for people to sit and view the piece.  One of my favorite things about this painting is the fact that there's so much mystery. Who are those people? What are they doing there? Why aren't there any people out on the street? 

My idea to make the art gallery space resemble the diner in the painting then lends itself to ask the same questions of the people viewing the art.  Who are we? What are we doing there?

Deep, huh?! ;) If you have any other ideas or suggestions for me, leave them below!
Happy Friday:)
xoxo
Photobucket

17 comments

  1. This painting speaks intimacy and simplicity to me. So maybe use those as some concept words! :)

    haha I feel like I'm a mix between the two but I'm curious to see how this will look! :)

    I really like your starting thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this painting. One of my favorite things about it is the great curved wall that guides your eye around the corner of the building. The exhibit space would be awesome if it had some deeply curved walls that guided you through the space. Contrast the areas that have art with bright directional lighting and keep the rest of the gallery a little dimmer. That contrast could guide you from space to space, as people tend to follow light.
    I could also envision the space having storefront, recessed areas in the wall where you could peer inside the storefront to see the art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that idea-- the curved walls are so awesome. I could talk endlessly about this painting! I was definitely thinking of having the only light in the room be on the actual painting. Putting it behind glass made to look like a storefront is a great idea.

      Delete
  3. My first thought was actually a dark leather sofa (maybe a chesterfield?) and dark walls in a library filled with books. I'm having a personal moment with dark and moody.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your initial idea! I always see a lot of variations of greens and golds/ocre in this painting, but I don't really have any good suggestions on how to use them (sorry, I'm in the second category, too).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent choice and great design idea! Nighthawk has always given me a sense of loneliness. I think about the man at the bar who's all by himself. He seems cut off from the couple chatting with the barman. I love the curved glass, as well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! That's so interesting to me, too. There's so much detail in such a "simple" painting!

      Delete
  6. I'm the same way! I thrive off of a very structured life!

    Shannon
    http://GBOfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot function without parameters. This project would drive me crazy.

    I don't have any design ideas but the painting reminds me of the song "The Good Stuff" by Kenny Chesney. The one guy sitting alone looks kind of like he's depressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes...great comparison! He does look depressed. Or just lonely. I actually think the other two characters on the other side of the bar are separate as well. There's so many ways this could be read!

      Delete
  8. i'm totally the same way - i get overwhelmed if the possibilities are literally endless. i need something to start with. i don't know if i have any great ideas for you, but i really like the concept and would love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the painting, there is something very lonely and haunting about it, but also bright and hopeful. I can't quite describe it. Loving the mustard yellow door...maybe you can incorporate that too?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness ~ I'd totally be #2! Yikes! :-) What a fun assignment to think differently about a space. I like your ideas so far and would LOVE to see the end result! Have a great weekend girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There two kinds of students in design school: those are who free spirits, who can see an object and do an entire room inspired by the feeling of that object.
    Edmonton Painters
    Painters Edmonton

    ReplyDelete
  12. 9m Property Solution interior designer in delhi and realty organization conceived with the central purpose of providing easy solutions in the realty sector in India.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhh I love that painting. I think of a cozy, quite, dark corner with a big brown leather chair and red throw blanket or pillow.... maybe a brass task lamp a la Restoration Hardware. I know you are doing a gallery space but I think having a quiet nook or two for taking it all in would be nice.

    Is this for design process? I did a similar project for our final in that class and used La Rousse by Toulouse-Lautrec. :)
    http://www.ourcozycubbyhole.com/2013/04/11/fidm-winter-2013-quarter-schoolwork-update-design-process/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! If you have a specific question, please email me at hello@michaelanoelledesigns.com. I always reply to emails! Have a blessed day! xoxo

Back to Top