Michigan Apartment: Living Room Design Plan



Incase you missed it, I'm moving to Michigan on Thursday, and my bedroom design plan for my new apartment is right here. Today 'm sharing the design plan for my living room/dining room area of my apartment. 

The feel I'm going for here is reflective of my personal style, of course. I love feminine shabby chic pieces, mixed with a few more masculine industrial pieces, and a touch of glam. I'm hoping to find an inexpensive white sofa as soon as I get there. For Michigan locals, any suggestions of where to look locally in Michigan? This one above is ikea, but they don't have a store nearby so I'd have to pay for shipping or drive 3 hours to get one. That might be more of a hassle than it's worth! Anyways, on the neutral colored sofa, I'm thinking of this combination of Arianna Belle turquoise and blue floral pillows with a pop of CWT coral fretwork pillows

I've already ordered this amazing gold side table, gold pouf and beautiful lamp from Lulu & Georgia. I'm in love! I also need to choose a rug from L&G for the living room, also probably in the blue palette.   I'm currently dying over the West Elm tufted bench/coffee table and if I can't get my hands on this exact one, I will find another tufted bench to use as an ottoman. I love the idea of the metal base and tufted top. It's the perfect mix of shabby chic and industrial! There will be a gallery wall either above the sofa or above the TV/media cabinet, depending on layout of the room. I found this gorgeous painting by Evelyn Henson and I've decided it has to happen in my living room. It's the perfect focal point of a gallery wall (or it would be great on a wall all by itself). The colors are perfect for the space, I think-- don't you?! Last but not least in the living room is this GORGEOUS wood bookshelf from 55 Downing Street, a fabulous new resource for home decor. It will be the perfect piece to add height to my room (did I mention my apartment has valued ceilings?!) and style all my accessories and favorite books. I can't wait!

Now for the dining room. My boyfriend's friend is going to be making me a dining table out of reclaimed barn wood (dream come true!) so I'm thinking some upholstered chairs, or something more feminine would be a great look with the masculine table. This table above is Pottery Barn, and I love how it looks! Hopefully my custom table will be similar. You wouldn't even be able to guess where these upholstered dining chairs are from. Ready?! Ikea! I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a similar look, because of the aforementioned pickle I'm in with not living close to an ikea and all.  I have a gift card to Crate & Barrel and I'll most likely be using it on these gold herringbone curtains in the dining/living room. I also have some other white linen curtains that could work, too, but want to add some color without painting. I think the curtains will be a great way to do just that! Not pictured will be some sort of buffet/console table in the dining room that will serve as a bar cart and extra storage for kitchen supplies. If you know of any good pieces like that, let me know! I'm planning to find an old piece of furniture and refinish it to my liking. Lastly, I want to change out the horrible light fixture that is currently in my dining room. I'm really not sure if this is even allowed (hello fellow renters…what should I do?!) but I found this great chandelier from World Market and it would be perfect and affordable. 

That's the game so far! What do you think?

Happy Monday!
xoxo
Photobucket

12 comments

  1. I want it all!! I love that gold pouf and have been wanting one for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I have the slipcovered chairs from Ikea and love them. Had two monogrammed for end chairs in our dining room. My MILs neighbor owns a furniture/design store in Tawas...not too far from Grand Rapids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it all! Good luck in Michigan and in finding that sofa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great minds think alike! I have my bedroom inspiration scheduled for Wednesday :) I have been daydreaming about my new space constantly! Sending prayers for a peaceful move your way, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cannot wait to see how it all comes together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, I absolutely love your vision of the new apartment and cannot wait to see it come to life! I am such a huge fan of Arianna Belle's pillows, talk about perfection. I can't believe the time has come already. Praying for a lovely last few days with your wonderful family and a sweet transition into Michigan! Are you making a road trip out of the new move?!

    xo, Kylie Rae

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your apartment is going to be amazing!! I can't wait to see it all finished! I hope the moving goes well!

    xoxo
    Stacey
    Five Minute Style 

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your apartment is going to be amazing! I can't wait to see the real life pictures of how it all comes together!

    Paige
    http://thehappyflammily.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ikea is only 2 hours away...I'll totally road trip with you if you want!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I SO can't wait to see your finishes shots once you put it all together there. I know it is going to look amazing.

    As far as renting and light fixtures go...check your lease but from I've learned you can change them out as long as you hold onto the old fixtures, and of course you typically have to handle the electrical work of that yourself as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You will love Grand Rapids! We are so thankful to live here! There are tons of furniture manufacturers in this area and lots of great design inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE it all! You are going to have such a lovely apartment! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! If you have a specific question, please email me at hello@michaelanoelledesigns.com. I always reply to emails! Have a blessed day! xoxo

Back to Top