Dishin' on Design Dilemmas



Note: this post was deleted in the craziness of blogger shutting down, so all comments are gone from the post, too. Luckily I have them saved in my email inbox though! (:

********
Today I'm starting something I'm pretty excited about.  Almost daily I get emails from readers and blog friends, wondering how they should solve their latest design dilemma.  I so look forward to these emails and am flattered y'all are choosing to ask me! Giving design advice thrills me {probably why I'm major in interior design!}  So with that being said, I'm going to start a new blog segment that you'll see poppin' up every now and again. 

This is your chance to comment below asking me anything you'd like to know about design.  Whether it be a general interior design question, or a specific one relating to your space...I want to help! Next week I'll be answering a few of those questions here on the blog, so come on back and see if your question was answered. Of course you can still email me privately, but if you want your question answered live on the blog, I'd love that, too!  You may have the same questions or dilemma as another one of your blog friends.  Learning from other people's spaces is always fun and getting a fresh perspective from a new set of eyes is sometimes all you need!

For those of you who are looking for more extensive help, online design packages are coming your way in June! {Lots of fun details on that coming soon(: }

Today I'm addressing a question from my girl Megan over at Mackey Madness.  She wants to know how to choose and implement color without the space looking like a circus. I love how she puts this, because to be honest, I've seen a few houses in my day look like that's where they're headed.


1. Game Plan. Pick a general color scheme by deciding on one focal color and one or two accent colors.  Always good to choose the inspiration piece first and draw from that for color, instead of matching inspiration pieces to paint colors already applied to the wall.
We did this with our bathroom remodel. Here's our inspiration piece...the wall color is directly from the the gold/beige in the painting:




2. Less is more.  You may think applying 3 different colors on each wall in your dining room will be fun, but it may cause your guests to want to...you know what...while eating.


Focal walls are nice ways to implement color, but not too much.  Paint {or wallpaper} one wall to make a statement and add pops of that same color elsewhere in the room. 3 neutral walls with one colored wall is fun, too. I recently did this with our guest room, simply pulling out the tangerine color:




3. Think outside the box.  You don't just have to implement color with paint!  Choose a mellow color for the walls and go with a bold rug, drapes or pillows.


Kirsten does it perfectly in her living room and office:





4. Make sure your colors "go".  Here is a general list of colors that tend to work together:
Blues and greens, blues and oranges {complimentary colors!}, purples and pinks and turquoise, yellow and turquoise, beige and just about anything, red and blue, pink and green, purple and yellow {complimentary again!} and white white white {obsessed}.


Rule of thumb: If the colors are found in a fabric together, they most likely work together. Again, always draw from existing pieces you love.


5. Before you leave the house, take one piece away.  Didn't Coco Chanel say that about jewelry? I think so. Same is true with color in a room...if you're worried about it being too much, just remove an item with color.
Black and white objects anchor a room.  Make sure there's a touch of neutral in every room.


Hope that helps, Meg!

So, bring it on ladies! What's your design dilemma? 
Ready. Set. Go.



Love,
Photobucket


PS. I'm sharing this post with Amanda at Serenity Now!

36 comments

  1. Great post! I think a lot of people are afraid of using color for that very reason. Looking forward to this new "series".

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that yellow bathroom!

    ps. linsey ray is pop indie-ish maybe thats how you would describe her! She just has fun music! Seriously, check her out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for a series! I love all of your suggestions. I'd to know any tips you have for accessorizing console tables. For some reason they always take me forever to tweek and I'd love some tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love focal walls. I have one in my apartment now. Its the largest wall in the place and it a beautiful light blue. It added so much color and happiness to the room as soon as I started painting! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My design dilemma is that when I find a new color scheme for a room, I never know how to tie in that one shade that makes the room POP! KWIM? I recently changed my living room colors from yellow, red, green to blue, green, beige. But I still feel like there is something missing. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Tips! I guess my greatest challenge is apartment living. Living in a tiny apartment & trying to make it more spacious & chic is so hard :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this new seris, Michaela! And of course... I have many questions swimming around in my head. Haha! Here is my big one right now. A lot of the trends I'm seeing (on pinterest, mainly) are shabby chic and scream GIRLY. I really like several styles that I have been seeing, but when thinking about a future home, I usually picture a husband there. And I don't think he wants to live in a house that could easily pass for a bachelorette pad. How can you get a good mix of shabby chic and manly man?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michaela.. .I love it. Great series idea. And I loved all of the information about color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a fun idea, I always love hearing about design advice! I'm just waiting for the day when I actually have a way ($$$) to *execute* the advice of a designer (c:

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this series! And LOOOOVE your new blog design!! Looks like you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of great advice here!
    Cant wait to read more in this new series =]

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the new series, Michaela! Kirsten home is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tips to keep in mind! I agree that less is definitely more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. white kitchens and subway tiles are so dreamy lately, but my countertops are a black granite with dark cabinets (and black appliances)...what kind of backsplash would work!?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! I love that you're going to add a design segment to your blog. It only makes sense. ;) I have been super obsessed with colors lately. I have been buying more colorful clothing, and my favorite thing has been nail polish. I bought two colors recently that I love very much... a grey color and a purple color. I love your tip about pulling color from inspiration, not the other way around. Looking forward to your design tips and solutions. (:

    ReplyDelete
  16. these are awesome tips!! i always struggle with mixing patterns (in clothes and rooms) and end up just doing plain colors everywhere. so boring!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea Michaela! I'd love to hear your thoughts on keeping neutrals fun and interesting and not boring.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for the great advice, Mich!! I can't wait to put it into use next year when we move again!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love these tips!!! :) My fiance and I are in the midst of painting our home. We tackled the first three rooms downstairs (the kitchen, living room, and dining room) and are SO pleased with the results :) I'm always looking for new ideas---so this post was AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun series! And such helpful tips!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your series idea, Michaela! I'm guessing gray is like a neutral and will go with a lot of other colors??

    Thanks so much for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great tips! Oh and thank you for your lovely comment on my blog. My top is from F21. :)
    Much love! x

    ReplyDelete
  23. that clock in the second to the second to the last picture is beautiful!
    xoxo
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  24. Perfect idea b/c I always love your design-focused posts! My dilemma is this big empty corner in my apartment. it's supposed to be the "dining room." apparently midgets were supposed to live here because there's NO way a dining set could fit there...what's your recommendation? it's big enough for a piece of furniture but not a dining set?!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Michaela,

    this is an exciting addition, i was reading on your faq page about wanting to implement more interior design services and advice into your blog and i think it's such a great idea! you're obviously filled with passion for this industry, what a light to shine for others along the way. cheers to you and mad amounts of continued success!!!

    lovin' Kirstens suite, great example...that room is the epitome of grounded. rad indeed. happy week ahead wishes, it's a joy to discover your space. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yay for a new addition to the blog! You are so smart and wise girlfriend. Loved reading all of these tips :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. awesome advice girl. I'm all about a bold color pop! you're speaking my language :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fantastic post! So sorry it was deleted last week; the fun of Blogger. Less is more is perhaps the best design tip out there!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh you are going to be so fab in this series... you have such a serious knack for laying out design information to where it makes perfect sense! Love it.

    PS. Like I said before, I am SO proud of you and your test. And I didnt even know that you got an A- on your quiz the next day! That's incredible, M! We must have a Skype celebration soon : )xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love Kristens office!! She is so talented and yes less is more!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great advice! Love your new header too!!! The lavender and gray are beautiful together. Fun, fun, fun!

    xo,
    cristin

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my goodness...LOVE the third image!!!
    That's so cool you're studying interior design!
    Seattle twinsies!

    http://yellowvoices.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great tips! I LOVE Kirsten's living room...so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love the paint colors, esp the gold color on the bathroom wall. Do you by any chance remember the paint color ? I am looking for a lovely medium gold color and can't seem to find one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! If you have a specific question, please email me at hello@michaelanoelledesigns.com. I always reply to emails! Have a blessed day! xoxo

Back to Top