S is for Spunk

Happy Monday!
So, I'm seeing your feedback on my sidebar over there is telling me y'all are nosey little blog friends and want to know more about my everyday life (: You know what? I'm totally okay with that because I'm nosey, too.  I figured I'd let you in on the road I took to getting where I am now- an accepted interior design major at SPU.

I was born on November 1st, 1990. I was a pretty calm baby.  Just teasing my parents, really, because once I hit 2 there was no more "calm".
I enjoyed 3 years of undivided attention from everyone I knew. Then he came along. My cute little brother, who everyone seemed to like more than me {not really...but from a 3 year old's perspective, yes, really.}

This is when I started getting sassy.  If you weren't looking at me, talking to me, or video taping me, I made sure let me presence be known. I was notorious for interrupting sports games, claiming it was time for my half time show I had prepared.
"G-O Let me hear you say GO. That's right. That's right. Pump it up, pump pump it up...." {That's right. I've still got it}

After my sassy phase, I started getting sneaky.  It wasn't uncommon for my mom to find me in the gift closet using her tissue and wrapping paper to wrap empty boxes.  You may think, hmm...that's weird, M.  And to that I would say, yes, yes it was!

I was also known for going up in my room, shutting my door and cutting my Barbie's hair.  If it got quiet, my mom knew I was playing salon.  They tanned, got facials and even had their hair dyed with mom's box dye.  What a life.
Sometimes I'd steal guest's high heel shoes.  We have proof on a home video where this happened:

Grandma: Michaela, can I have my shoes back please?
Me: But Gama, these ones match me. You have other ones for you.


#diva

After that, I began the creative stage.  I wanted to help bake, draw, and do crafts all the time.  Give me paint, an easel, some paper and a... swimsuit?



Colin liked painting his body more than the paper...


I bet you really trust me with the design of your home after seeing this:

Then I started building floor plans with my jenga blocks.  I'd give tours of the houses to anyone who was forced willing to listen. 

When we moved to a new house, I was able to pick out my new bedding furniture.
Then went to middle school and that was awkward, obviously, so we'll skip over that phase.

High school was amazing.  Our freshman year term paper was on what you want to do when you grew up and this was the first time I researched interior design. After turning in the paper, I knew that's what I'd do with the rest of my life.
I redid my room again, this time choosing paint colors, curtains, fabrics, and everything.  My grandma, who's a designer, helped me.
I started falling more and more in love with God each day and was really excited about the rest of my life.

When it came time for college, I knew I wanted to be near home, because I never really did well at summer camp, so I couldn't imagine the whole out-of-state-college thing.  I wanted to go to FIDM, but realized I wanted the four year college experience.  My high school counselor found Seattle Pacific University and noticed it happened to have a direct transfer program with the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising. SOLD. I visited the school, fell in love with the brick buildings and design program and was accepted.

I then received about 3 umbrellas for graduation gifts. But you all know I can't use them here or people will know I'm not from these parts.  So, I moved to Seattle with my 3 umbrellas, color swatches and my baby blanket, ready for anything (:

I figure I was destined to end up here:


And that's my story.  A little sassy pants, creative, sneaky, girlie girl who ended up two states away from home to study what she loves.  Dontcha worry, though, that sass has since turned into spunk. And everyone needs a dose of that!

via

What's your story?
Love,
Photobucket


PS. Welcome to my newest sponsor, Laura, from The Daylight.
We have coincidentally, switched states to study interior design for college. She's back from California now and writing her sweet blog from Seattle, Washington.  Over in corner of the World Wide Web, she shares endless inspiration for all things design.  Head on over and say hello (:


xoxo

35 comments

  1. I love the pictures of you when you were little! I'm pretty sure I had that same haircut. Following your dream is not always the easiest road! Keep your head up. You have so much going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the old pictures! I think it's amazing you're following your dreams. That's something most people never accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! You were such a cute kid! I was always drawing fashions, I guess I should have been a fashion designer:) Great pic of you at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i had four years of individual attention...and i was PO-ed when my lil bro came along. robbing me of all my attention. so i beat him.

    we are friends now though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved hearing your story!

    We def all need a dose of spunk and sassyness in us :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww loved learning more about you! You were such a cute little girl...love your sassy stage...I had one too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post Michaela. It was so much fun learning more about you, Miss Sassy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. cute story!!! i was pretty ticked when my baby bro arrived. good thing i got over it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i loved hearing your story! My sis and I are only 16 months apart soooo we were kinda forced to get along haha..we loved eachother, then hated eachother, and now love eachother

    my dad is an interior decorator so I grew up with a lot of that and let me tell ya, i envy you guys for all of your hard work! i have trouble matching my clothes let alone what drapes go best with what oriental rug. Kidding about matching clothes..except I am a mish mash of color/patterns when I go to bed

    i'd totally hang up that purple splatter piece!

    loved hearing more about you :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed reading that!

    You really are following your passion, and that is such a great thing to see!

    What year are you in?

    CarissaExplainsItAll

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are the cutest little sassy pants. I can't believe you were born in 1990!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are too cute! You've definitely got spunk :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that you shared this. We would be friends in real life. For sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So wonderful to get to learn a little more about you :) - and it's always great to see someone who knew what they were meant to do from such a young age... I'm slowly figuring out my calling, but the picture isn't completely clear for me yet :)

    xoxo
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loving this recap of your life and how you became passionate about interior design! Sounds a bit familiar to my own story..except I'm the baby and I'd pitch a fit if anyone cut my barbies hair! and I gravitated to more graphics than interiors in my college days. Now I'm all about ANYTHING design!!
    And I'm quite the spunky lady, right there with you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. you are so cute!! I would never have seen you as a sassy girl!

    ReplyDelete
  17. great to learn more about you :) I LOVE being nosey too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your fun and spunky story! Love how you wanted the limelight after your brother came along... I'm an only child but still wanted lots and lots of attention. I also played with legos and made buildings and floors plans... and told everyone about them since they were "willing" to listen. ;)

    I'm still trying to figure out my calling and I am super super excited about moving to Florida, because I think it was definitely meant to happen. Yay.

    Can't wait to keep reading about your interior design experiences, and I always love when you post floor plans that you're working on. (: I bet you'll love FIDM too, how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. so funny! I was laughing at your umbrella story. I moved to Portland for a few years after high school from CA and know EXACTLY what youre talking about haha..

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a cute little story...I totally enjoy hearing about everyone's journeys...I love how you came to the whole interior design thing and CONGRATS on getting accepted!!! I remember you were a little nervous, but of course your loyal friends in blogland never doubted for a minute (c:

    ReplyDelete
  21. Michaela this is gorgeoussss! I can imagine you being the cutest little girl!
    I cannot wait to see how your future unfolds...your going places :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh boy . . .I feel like I am reading about my riley!!! Love you your sass, spunk, and story.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I couldn't tell if you were talking about yourself.. or me.

    When my sister was born (i was 3), my parents and relatives had to bring me gifts because I was apparently so upset that I wasn't the one getting all the attention.

    True story.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I knew I loved ya sweetie, but after seeing the umbrella pic you had me! Elie, our oldest, used to twirl her plastic umbrellas to Disney's "Main Street" video all the time!! LOL You so remind me of she and her sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. loved reading your story & has anyone told you, you have the most beautiful smile... seriously it just radiates positivity :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I definitely love reading more "real life" stuff about you!! It's what I voted for! ; )

    Love you and your sassy spunky self!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love learning more about you and your childhood story! You were such a cutie!! Now you are a pretty lady!! :) I think you were a great designer even when you were little! ;)

    A Little Bit of This & That

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think this has been my favorite post you've done! (Yes, I love all your design stuff, but it's great to get to know the girl BEHIND the great design stuff! Lol.)

    Sophisticated Steps

    ReplyDelete
  29. you look so pretty in that last pix!

    ReplyDelete
  30. So fun! My birthday is Dec 3 1990 :) Interior design was never on my list of future jobs. When I was really young, I wanted to be a vet. Then I thought about being a french/english translator for about 5 seconds before I decided on opthalmologist (eye surgeon) and then somehow I ended up in New Media. I'm getting my BFA and then I hope to study interior design in a second degree or masters program. Not the most direct of routes haha :P

    ReplyDelete
  31. This was great! Funny how some things never change!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful pictures and I love the story! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your story is just beginning!! :) And it's already good!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! If you have a specific question, please email me at hello@michaelanoelledesigns.com. I always reply to emails! Have a blessed day! xoxo

Back to Top