DIY Ombre Heart Maps

Today I'm joining the party hosted by Young House Love, Centsational Girl, Bower Power and my girl Michelle at Ten June. What party, you ask?! A Pinterest bash! Instead of pinning things and just letting them sit still on our online pin boards, these girls encouraged us to pick a project we found on Pinterest and actually do it ourselves. I'd been wanting to do this DIY for a few weeks now, so this was the perfect time!


Here was my inspiration picture, pinned in my "For the Home" board:
original source
I'm at a time in my life where moving has become second nature. The last three years I've moved three times- once each school year (from home in California to a new house in Seattle). And this coming Fall I'm heading to Los Angeles to complete my degree. When I saw this Heart Maps DIY project on Pinterest, I thought it would be a fun way to display the three cities I will have spent very important years of my life. So, here's how I created my DIY Heart Maps.  Of course I added a little flavor of my own to the original inspiration I found on Pinterest. Some ombre never hurt anyone!


DIY Heart Maps
Materials: paper for a template, scissors, maps of 3 different cities (get them for free at your local Triple A), frame, paint chips, glue.


1. Cut out a heart template
2. Place it over the city you want to cut out. Trace the heart template on the map and cut out the city.


3. Gather paint samples (got mine from Home Depot for free). Make sure you get enough in order to cover the whole background area. Cut them into small squares and arrange them from darkest to lightest on your background to create the ombre effect.




4. Glue down your hearts & stick it in a frame! Done!



Seattle--Bay Area--Los Angeles




The best part about this project was that I spent no money in creating it. Paint samples- free! Maps- free! Frame- already had it! Nothing I {or my wallet} love more than that.


I can't wait to display it in my room. Now to decide where to actually put it! Decisions, decisions... :)
Hope you'll join in the Pinterest Challenge! I can't wait to see what you've created. Send me a link in the comments of your project so I can check it out and link up here.


What would YOUR three cities be?!
Happy Tuesday!
Love,
Photobucket

29 comments

  1. How stinkin' cute! I have been wanting to do this with the place my husband and I met, where we married, and where we now reside! Such a fun idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this turned out so cute! I love that idea - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Love your twist on it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun and easy DIY! I have a few different places close to my heart, and this would be the perfect way to show my love for them in a unique way. Thanks for sharing lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I've seen them around, but couldn't ever figure what cities to do! For me it'd have to be Baton Rouge, New Orleans and Atlanta!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this one, it has too many cute options for personalization! And free always puts that extra sparkle on it. Great selection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, this is amazing! So doing this someday.

    Silver from A Silver Snapshot
    http://starthinker-silverbarter.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  8. so impressed girly! i bet it will look great in your new bedroom :) can't wait to see the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute! I've had this pinned on my board since I joined Pinterest. I love the ombre effect you added!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! What a great idea. I would love to do it for Seattle, Orange County, and Boston to represent the three cities / counties I've lived for the last 12 years.

    xo Lisa
    http://belleandbentley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! What a great idea. I would love to do it for Seattle, Orange County, and Boston to represent the three cities / counties I've lived for the last 12 years.

    xo Lisa
    http://belleandbentley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute and you are going to love LA! Let me know if you ever need a shopping buddy because I would be more than happy show you some of my favorite places to shop for design projects here in LA!
    -Brittany
    www.classicallyb.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. @brittany- YES! I'd love that :) We will have to plan something!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did this project when I re-did my room but larger. I love the look of it! And I like that you can display places that mean a lot to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My hearts would be San Francisco and Austin.

    Here is my link for Michelle's party!
    http://lifeintheklaaslane.blogspot.com/2012/07/pinterest-challenge-diy-anthro-bath.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sweet! I love this! Very good idea <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE this! what an adorable idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. cute project, m!!!! i'd have a hard time choosing just three cities!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cute. Melissa (320 Sycamore) did one too. I may make one for Katie's dorm room.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is adorable!! Love that you have the three places you've lived, although I think Louisiana should have made the cut, too! Haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovin' that it is cute, easy, and cheap. The perfect pinterest craft! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Super cute project! And I love how it cost you $0.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So darling! Love that you incorporated the ombre! Such a cute project!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh how cute! I've seen something like this on an online store before but it was like $50?! The DIY route trumps that by far!

    ReplyDelete
  25. suuuuper cute! im in the middle of re-doing my room, on the cheap diy scale. i may have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Since we have recently relocated to CA from Texas this would be perfect for our new home. I am thinking of using the shapes of the states. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a cute idea!! Love it! I must try this out!

    xx
    Giovanna
    www.oliveandanarrow.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! If you have a specific question, please email me at hello@michaelanoelledesigns.com. I always reply to emails! Have a blessed day! xoxo

Back to Top