On My Desk

outside of box // elevation // elevation // floor plan

This is mostly what I've been up to for the past few weeks. Lots and lots of drafting.  It's a good thing I LOVE it, because my life is consumed with rulers, sharpening pencils, rendering and the like. 

This particular project above is from my space planning class.  We created a client of our choice {mine was a hip young mom who owned her own stationary business!} and then tailored the living room design plan to her and her family's needs. Each component of the design {elevations, floor plans, furniture specs, design questionnaire etc} all had to fit in a box that resembled the style of our room.  My mock house was set in Napa Valley, so this pretty black and cream flower and vines paper was the perfect addition to my box to help create the Napa feeling I was going for.  I may be partial, but upon completing the project, I found myself longing to live in this very room. If you've ever designed something for someone, I'm sure you can relate; your designs truly become a part of you! For this project, I had the option of doing the drafting by hand or in CAD. I chose to hand draft everything, because I believe it's a lost art, and one that brings the design plan to life better than any other media.

I realized I haven't touched much on the classes I'm taking this quarter, so here's a small peek into my interior design school life:
Design Trend & Prediction 
Presentation Techniques {using how to color with prisma markers!}
Photoshop, Illustrator and Google Sketchup
Events Planning & Marketing {this is my teacher. She's a successful event planner in LA & I adore her!}
Art in Public Places
Lighting Fixture Design

I've enjoyed working on the projects for all these classes, even though seven classes is a lot to juggle. I will say, though, much against popular belief, it's not all fun and games in design school -- it's hard, too. It's a lot of work, attention to detail and hours upon hours spent looking at plans. Ah, I think for Christmas I'll ask for a massage! Ha :)  Let me know if you enjoy seeing design projects I'm working on in school here on the blog!

Hope you're having a wonderful week!
Love,
Photobucket
PS. Welcome my sponsor, Tiffany Leigh Interior Design
If you enjoyed this post today, you'll find lots more interior design goods over at Tiffany's sweet blog. She's also a design student and stylish blogger.

15 comments

  1. LOVE EVERYTHING. You are so talented and I love that you chose hand drafting. I think that there is something remarkable beautiful about it! I just finished my first elevation drawings. So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a hard worker. I am so proud of you. You have taken on quite a lot and still have time to produce your beautiful blog. Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love seeing the insight of a designer (as a CPA, it's definitely new to me!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I've never had anything to do with interior design (except for in my own home, and the occasional family "consult"), I believe that doing just about anything by hand is a lost art! That's one reason I love sending (and receiving) handwritten cards! Your work looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love hand-drawn renderings! i wish i had your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the hand-drawing - I loved drawing blueprints by hand, there's nothing quite like it! Congrats on your lovely project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I come live in that space?!!! Love it. So proud of you for following your dream.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this kind of stuff! It's so awesome to see how the design starts. I'm so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are SO talented. I just can't get over it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such beautiful design sketches. You've got talent girl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am pretty envious of your major! I didn't figure out that I'm 100% a right-brainer until I had nearly completed my business management degree. Oh well, you live and learn! Your designs look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. & I have you linked on my blog as one of the people who inspire me! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I could be you when I grow up! : ) Seriously, if I could do it all again, I would choose your major. Those classes sound incredible! So excited for you. And proud that you can manage all of those classes, your blog and other fun commitments! You rock : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! If you have a specific question, please email me at hello@michaelanoelledesigns.com. I always reply to emails! Have a blessed day! xoxo

Back to Top