Marriage Advice: A Thoughtful Place

While I'm planning my last minute wedding details, getting hitched and enjoying our honeymoon, I'm excited to have a few of my favorite blog friends (and in real life friends, too!) filling in for me! Courtney, from A Thoughtful Place, is here today sharing some wonderful marriage tips. I just love this lady + have been tucking her wisdom away for years!

***
I am so exited to be hanging out on Michaela's blog today. Michaela and I go way back as we have both been blogging for some time and I just adore her. We've even been able to spend time together in California and I couldn't be happier to see her embarking on marriage. My hubby and I have been married for 13 years and have two children. I thought it would be fun to share what we feel are key aspects to maintaining a truly happy marriage.

Mutual Respect

No matter what we have each other's back. We are big believers in being respectful towards each other at all times. Of course we joke around and tease each other all the time, but we don't cross the line and we always appreciate each other's contributions. It's the little things. Thanking each other for unloading the dishwasher or taking out the trash. Those tasks only multiply over the years and it helps to appreciate the work each person does. It's easy to start taking things for granted and that's when resentment can creep in. Thank each other daily.

Date Night

We are HUGE on weekly date nights. I even blog about them with my "It's a Date" series because we really do feel that putting each other first is crucial. You have to take care of the relationship. And a date night doesn't have to cost money. When we met we didn't have two pennies to our name and we would get take out and play games. It's just about spending uninterrupted time with one another. We swear by these nights.

Adventure

Life is flipping short. We have been through quite a lot in our 15 years together. We recognize that this life is fleeting and we choose adventures together whenever we can. Whether that is traveling or just trying something new. When you think about it, it's pretty awesome to have your best friend to do things with. So do them!

Family First

Say no to things that might get in the way of family. As a society we rarely unplug and are pulled in so many different directions. It's hard. It's a constant struggle to cut back and always be sure the time is there for family. Investing in family time is the greatest investment of them all. 

Communication

Bottom line you need to communicate. Every. Day. It's so easy when life is running smoothly. But when hardship and trials pop up, and they always do, it's so key to always let each other know what you need and how you're feeling. Little issues can become giant ones in a blink of an eye if you don't talk. I can do enough talking for the both of us so I have learned to zip it and be a good listener.

Michaela, Ryan and I couldn't be happier for you. This is the beginning of such an amazing journey. May you always find the humor in every day and never take life too seriously. 
xoxo
Courtney

 Blog: A Thoughtful Place  || Instagram: @athoughtfulplace





Photobucket

1 comment

  1. Love all of this and it rings so true. Thanks for the reminders Court!! XO

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! If you have a specific question, please email me at hello@michaelanoelledesigns.com. I always reply to emails! Have a blessed day! xoxo

Back to Top