Wedding Bliss: Our Inspiration + Color Palette



Today is my second post on Style Me Pretty as a part of their Blogger Brides series! If you missed the first one, you can read it here. Today I'm dishing on our wedding inspiration.

***

As a little girl I dreamed often about what my wedding would one day look like. A not-so-uncommon-occurrence in our house was my mom peeking through my bedroom door to see me performing a wedding with Ken and Barbie. Sometimes I'd pick flowers from the front yard to use in their mock-wedding. Ever since I can remember, there has always been a deep love inside of me for celebrations, beautiful and meaningful details, flowers, and love.

Now that I'm actually engaged, it's been so fun to dream up what I really want our big day to look like and feel like. While getting caught up in the inspiration and endless possibilities of decor is fun (sometimes!), we always try to remind ourselves what's most important: we want to create a marriage more beautiful than our wedding day, because that is what lasts! 

We want to have a beautiful wedding day, because thoughtful details and beauty evoke feelings of love, and that's what a marriage is all about. Marriage is a big deal, a covenant promise, and our wedding is a day that we want to mark the start of life together. So today I'm sharing our wedding inspiration with you and how I went about pulling our colors and initial design elements together.


First off, the sweet gals at Southern Weddings sent me their Southern Weddings Planner. It has helped keep me on track, given me helpful tips for the planning process, and is filled with inspiration from cute ideas to favorite wedding vows. It has space for me to write down all my vendor's information to help me stay organized. Towards the end, it also has a section to "prepare for your marriage". It's filled with fun questions to ask each other, which we have loved.

1. Where to start? Create a Vision for Your Day!

Obviously I had a general idea of the feel I wanted for our wedding. I envision it being romantic, a bit eclectic, warm, sophisticated but totally comfortable and inviting. We aren't formal people, so we don't want anything overly formal. We want our guests to feel loved and experience our love on our big day, so setting the backdrop for that is our goal.

Creating this vision is what the foundation was to our design elements.



2. Choosing a Color Palette.

Our colors are lavender, blush, navy and a touch of silver. When I was choosing a color palette, I wanted something light and airy. I thought lavender and blush would be perfect for that. Initially navy wasn't in the mix, but upon further consideration, I thought adding in a hue with some contrast to make the lighter colors pop would be beautiful, both for the day of and in our pictures.

3. Determining the Usage of Color:

Once you land on a palette, I found it was helpful to determine how much and where each color will be used. Here is our break down:

Lavender: Flowers, bridesmaid dresses, envelope liners
Blush: Flowers, bridesmaid dresses, ribbon on bouquets and favors, linens
Navy: Groomsman suits, napkins, and ink on signage
Silver: Vases and chargers

Once you break it down like that, you can better envision the amount of each color, to be sure you like the ratio. I knew we wanted to use navy sparingly, so other than the guy's suits, we reserved navy for small details like signage and napkins. Blush and lavender will make up the majority of our palette.





4. Find Your Style.

To do this, ask yourself a few questions:
- Where will your wedding be?
- What are some words to describe your vision?
- What is your color palette?
- Where are your favorite places to shop for home decor? (Hey, your home decor style will definitely relate to your wedding style!)

Our style is aided by our venue, Holman Ranch. It's a rustic, yet elegant ranch in the hills of the Carmel Valley. Accented with stone, wood, a refined barn, and sweeping views of the hills, this really helped us find our style. We will incorporate wood signs, natural / organic looking arrangements, highlight the view, and accent with soft linens and upholstered furniture. To keep things fun and interactive, we are going to have a s'more station around a fire, corn hole and horseshoes for guests to play at the reception.

I put together the above photos as inspiration for the look of our wedding!



5. Dream Up Your Bridesmaid Style.

I wanted to do something a little different with my bridesmaids. Rather than them all wearing the same dress, or even the same color dress, I had a vision of everyone wearing a different shade of pink or lavender, making up our color palette for the wedding. I love floral prints so much, but thought that everyone wearing a floral gown would be a bit much, so we decided to just have my Maid of Honor wear a floral gown. I think the combination of lavender, blush and a floral gown will be beautiful! All the maids will be in floor length gowns to bring the elegant and flowy feel we want to capture.



Ashley Slater Photography
DETAILS | Invites: Minted / Fabric Samples: Weddington Way / Southern Weddings Planner / Ribbon: Adorn Company 


That's a little bit about how I dreamt up our inspiration and direction for our wedding. If you are engaged, how are you going about this fun process?!

Happy Wednesday!

Photobucket

4 comments

  1. I got your Save the Date and love love LOVE it!! Can't wait!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful colors you've chosen and very romantic Michaela!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your colours are going to look amazing!
    I found picking the colours the hardest part but as soon as I did everything just flowed from there. I had emerald green for the bridesmaids with cream flowers and as the bride I was rose gold and champagne colours with deep red flowers :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! If you have a specific question, please email me at hello@michaelanoelledesigns.com. I always reply to emails! Have a blessed day! xoxo

Back to Top