Fishtail Braid

Last week on my Fashion Friday post, I posted a cute hairstyle that seems to be super popular for fall! 


It's the fishtail braid.  And because I received more than a few e-mails on how to do the braid, I figured I'll do a tutorial for all of you! Here's the breakdown.  My adorable roommate Anna modeled (:


Divide the top part of your hair into two sections.  


Grab a 1/2 inch strand of hair from the left side and bring it to the right side.  Pull tight.  Next, grab the same thickness of hair from the right side and bring it to the left side, making sure to keep each side separate from one another.  Pull tight.  Do this without twisting hair under like a braid.  This is simply moving one small section of hair to the opposite side.


 Keep repeating these steps until you run out of hair. 


Once your done, secure with an elastic and you can pull out a few strands and curl them or crimp them or whatever you feel like doing, just to give it a more relaxed look.

I like to put in a cute headband first then do the fishtail so the front part of my hair isn't in my face:


Here's another example of an adorable fishtail from Whippy Cake:

{PS. I asked for this glamour band for Christmas (: }


Hope this helps! Let me know if you give it a whirl!

Love and Braids,

13 comments

  1. Lovely tutorial - thanks for sharing!
    So glad I just came across your blog - I am your newest follower!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh! looove whippy cake and love the fishtail braid. so fun and simple to do! thanks for the tutorial- yours looks so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super awesome! I have always wondered exactly HOW one of these was done. Now I know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully Done!!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes ma'am!!! That braid looks gorgeous! Now if only I wasn't stupid 4 months ago and chopped off all of my hair!!! My husband looked at me last night as we were excite it was getting a little longer and he said, "Please never cut your hair again!" So I now vow never to do that again!!!! So jealous of your long beautiful hair!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, can i tell you that today at work i saw your post on doing a fishtail braid and I asked my co-worker if I could try it on her hair. (during my lunch hour of course). . . people gave us funny looks, but who cares right? Thanks, I've always wanted to know how to do that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful! dianna agron is kind of my fave :) if i had long enough hair, i would *definitely* follow your advice!
    -kait

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have to share this tutorial with my daughter, she's been wanting to learn to braid and this is such a pretty style. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Had to share since I stole another one of your fantastic ideas!!!

    Thank you Thank you Thank you! I love it!!!

    http://happyjoyousandfreeblog.blogspot.com/2010/11/fancy-fishtail-braid.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! Thank you thank you! This braid is actually used to braid horses tails sometimes, so when I saw it I thought it looked neat and tried using the horse directions, didn't work :/ Hahaha! Now I'll use yours though! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing this. I adore it and can't wait to try it out. Have a great day!
    From Bali With Love,
    Anna
    http://annaelizabethpoole.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! If you have a specific question, please email me at hello@michaelanoelledesigns.com. I always reply to emails! Have a blessed day! xoxo

Back to Top